Thursday 23 February 2012

To Spoil or not to Spoil?

I've been questioning myself lately if I would spoil my daughter too much. Like when we went to the toy shop on Tuesday I felt like buying her a small talking parrot or when we were on our trip to Dresden I felt like buying her this Sandmann doll as her reward for being soooo nice and lovely. But in the end I didn't do it. Not that those things are expensive but somehow I've been struggling myself with the reason that she would get spoiled in the future.

I know that actually my daughter won't be spoiled for just one or two toys I buy her but still the thought is there. As a matter of fact, I rarely bought toys for her, maybe only for Birthday, Christmas, and Easter, but I bought her quite often books. I am more into books anyway because then we can read it together and it's quite fun.

I do feel sad when she wants badly to have one toy and starts to cry badly but on the other hand I don't want her to get used to in getting all the things she wants. When we're home and I'm still fighting with all my thoughts, she seems to forget all the things she's been nagging before which make me say: aha, see I don't have to buy those things and she seems okay with it.

As a parent and a mother nowadays is pretty complicated to deal with the world who offers a lot of things, from digital toys, dolls in every shapes, dolls with all the human functions, small cars, big cars, even bigger cars, and so on, and so on. Well you have to keep up so that you won't be left behind, that's what they said. How about the educational function? Well, they all have it, that's what they said, at least.

I guess I will have to follow my heart because I do feel tired in struggling with the thoughts. I will stay on this line and won't care of anyone saying if I'm left behind or too hard to my daughter. As long as my daughter is happy and I'm sure our affections cost more than any of those toys. I habe dich Lieb, meine Maus, immer!

No comments: